Autumn Spotify Playlist

12:05 PM

Happy first day of autumn!

Fun little fact about myself: I have synesthesia. It's actually chromesthesia to be exact. What that means is that there is a color-sound association. Essentially, when a chromesthete hears a tone, a color is immediately perceived.



At first, I thought this was all hocus-pocus, but I found out I had it when I was in high school. Another fun little fact about myself: I'm a classically trained violinist. My teacher was actually a big Baroque violinist who did a decent amount of work with music and psychology. She was struggling to communicate to me how to play something one day. The next lesson, she bust out a bunch of difference swatches of fabric of different colors and textures. She'd hand one to me and say, "Play this." After a few minutes, she told me that she was almost 100% sure that I had chromesthesia.

After that, I started noticing all of my favorite songs and all of my favorite bands were essentially the same few "colors." Browns. Oranges. Dark Yellows. Some forest-y greens. I associate all of these sounds naturally with autumn since I associate those colors with autumn.

Now, I tried to de-weird-ify some of this list (I'm a big Sigur Rós, Kishi Bashi, etc. fan which can be a little polarizing) and tried to have a mix of my weird favorites and some more popular songs that just seem autumnal. I will say my favorite song on this is "Glósóli" by Sigur Rós. It's a beautiful burnt orange and has been my favorite song since Takk.. was released.

I'll be updating and changing this throughout the season!



If you want to experience what chromesthesia is like, I recommend watching Fantasia. It used to be one of my favorite movies when I was younger (which makes sense in retrospect). Even when it gets into the more detailed imagery that seems relatively disconnected to the music (I'm looking at you, evolution scene!), it is a good look into what it's like. There are some song that I have extremely vivid imagery associations along with the color!

Let me know if you have chromesthesia, too! Also, did I miss any songs that you think are autumn necessities?

Don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin' and Instagram!

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. I love your playlist, mainly because it's similar to mine!! I have a lot of MO, Banks, and the Lumineers. Such great sounds for the change in weather to such cooler and grey temps and skies. Love this and thanks for sharing because I can't wait to check out the others!

    Danielle | www.FollowMyGut.com <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! You should make a playlist, too! It sounds like I'd like it =]

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this! I have never heard of chromesthesia so this is absolutely fascinating to me, I am going to listen to this whilst sitting in the VERY autumnal looking park in my break. Thank you! Immy x

    www.immymay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you end up liking it! And I'm glad you think chromesthesia is interesting. People like to call it a disorder, but I think it's just an interesting quirk!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of any of this, but I do like finding new playlists. Thanks for sharing x

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy autumn! :) It had been my favorite season when I was still in the US, now I'm back to my tropical country so there's no way we're going to have a change of season here. Sad, but I'm used to it. Haha, anyway, great playlist! ♥ Please also check out my latest post about Tokyo Disneyland + a few tips. Hope to hear from you soon!

    Love, Airish
    Gorgeous Glance
    http://www.airishabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I couldn't even imagine that! I adore the change of season! You'll just have to travel to some fall destinations =]

      Delete
  5. I have to check this list out! I love, LOVE spotify and listening to new playlists, the easiest way to discover new music!

    XO Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! I'm glad you're excited!

      Delete
  6. Happy Autumn and thanks for the great autumnal playlist! Will def have to take a listen!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kangkan! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  8. i would love to watch fantasia!
    http://www.thestyletune.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to, Chichi! It's wild!

      Delete
  9. Happy October and thanks for sharing your autumnal playlist! Will check them out!

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. anna akana has a youtube vid about her synesthesia, though i think hers is pretty mild. i recognized a couple of your songs ("youth" and "only love"!), and the rest were songs i thought i knew, and then realized they weren't lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I saw that! We have different kinds, but it's interesting how similarly it affects both of us. And I'm glad there's some new music on here for you!

      Delete