Major Life Changes && KonMari App

10:10 AM

I've been gone for a while and the reason is a little heavy. To be honest, since I've gotten back from my incredible trip, I've been stuck in a depressive and pensive state. My long-term boyfriend just moved to Texas for a minimum of four years. And guess what? I'm not going with him.

I've gotten really mixed responses from this decision. Some people I know have applauded me and said that I'm doing the right thing. Others have doubted the stability of that decision. To be honest, I can see both sides. On one hand, I'm learning how to love in a long-distance relationship while also learning how to love myself and chase after my own personal desires. On the other, I'm just prolonging the two inevitable conclusions to this relationship: living together and then getting married or breaking up in one way or another.

But I'm not going to go into detail on how I've been feeling and the nitty-gritty honesty of the situation. We can save that for another day if anyone actually cares to know. Instead, I'm going to jump into something a little more lighthearted and add some wonderfully shitty pictures of how much crap I own and don't need!

Today, I want to talk about the KonMari App. Now, say what you will about Marie Kondo and her method, I actually don't hate it. The concept of breaking down everything into clear categories and taking each item into your hands and really asking "Does this actually do anything for me?" helps me.

Taken from the KonMari website.

This app is currently only available on iPhone, but you can apply the concepts easily enough without a phone. The app is just a nice, clean, and organized way to keep track of the progress you are making. You have to take before and after pictures which really helps you understand how much you have and how much you are looking at cutting down. This is a trick I wish I did the first time I culled my clothing... Once you finish one category, you "unlock" the next one. It's pretty nifty!

So the first category you work on is clothing. In this category, you are supposed to take all of your clothes and throw it into a pile on the ground. I know. It's crazy. But let me tell you, it helps. Just take a look at my before picture.


No amount of editing and lighting will make that look good. You can't fully grasp the sheer volume of clothing that is piled up. And to make it worse, my shoes aren't included here... But after a few hours of going through every single individual item, I managed to reduce the pile by half. (Three bags of clothing to take to H&M just to buy more stuff I don't need!)

It's hard to capture how much less is here. But it's very liberating.

I'm still working on other clothing items (shoes and belts), but I'm already loving this process. It encourage decluttering, not minimalism. Minimalism doesn't suit me, but I'd still love to cut out all of the clutter!

Have you tried the KonMari app or any other decluttering apps?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hey! I've just found your blog, and I'm really sorry to hear about your boyfriend. It will always be hard whatever decision you make, and having been in both long distance relationships, and now, being the one who is going away, I can relate a lot to feeling that way. People always have their opinions but in the end you have to do what is ultimately the best for you.

    That app sounds interesting although I've moved over to android so I can't try it out but I quite like that concept. I find it really hard to be minimalist as well, but there are some benefits to it. Good luck with everything!x

    Love,

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love, Anne! I've been the one to go away before. You're going on a great adventure and I'll be cheering for you!

      And I HOPE they come out with this app for Android! I think you'd like it!

      Delete