Whoops, P90X and Vegan Challenge Wrap Up, && Day 3 :: Journaling Challenge

10:40 AM

Well, this is a tad bit embarrassing. I dropped off the face of the planet for over a month and now I just come waltzing back. I won't bore you with any excuses or details. I was just busy. Done.

I'm planning on getting back too this a more religiously, especially given my new May challenge. But first, I want to wrap up the two challenges that are done and past now.



P90X Challenge
Really this should be called the "P90X3 Challenge." Guess what, I loved it. And I'm still doing it. I'm getting close to finishing the full 90 days and I've only missed one or two days of the entire workout. I feel great and I'm debating on whether I should start P90X2 afterwards or if I should create my own workout. I couldn't be happier about this and I definitely recommend this to everyone!

Vegan Challenge
No. I tried. I really did. I had some great meals. I really enjoyed the vegan dishes that I did make. But a lot of vegan substitutes for dairy products or anything had coconut in it. So every dish felt like it lacked something. Also, with doing P90X at the same time, I always felt hungry. Don't get me wrong, there are some great vegan protein sources (I'm looking at you, beans). But I was always craving something more. I think that my semi-vegetarian lifestyle works wonderfully for me and that I'm just not a vegan-only person. I've got no meat on the menu this week so far, actually. And I do have a tendency to naturally include vegan dishes into my day-to-day life. That being said, I can't emphasize enough how this is a to-each-his-own subject. I've know incredible healthy vegans and horribly unhealthy vegans. I've know people who are only in it for health reasons, only in it for ethical reasons, and in it for some combination of the two. What I've learned is that if you are going to incorporate a diet into your lifestyle for any combination of reasons, you need to do your research and make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons. And if it is a flexible, non-critical diet and you just aren't feeling it, it's okay to quit and finding something better and more suited for you. Also, vegan cooks and bloggers - you guys are magicians. Those were some really cool recipes and tricks that you found.


Now onto the journaling challenge. I'm concerned about this challenge for some ridiculous reason. I've never really been good at keeping the journal. The closest I've ever come to a journal really is my planner (which I do in bare-bones bullet style - no fancy drawing or stickers for this girl). Actually, let me know if you want me to run through how I organize my planner! So this challenge is definitely taking me out of my comfort zone.

First I had to get a journal. Thankfully, I had an old one someone gave me years back. I never really liked it and of course never used it.


The pattern is not my style and I hate the wide rule. I'm a give-me-the-smallest-rule-possible type of a person. But I decided that it would work for thirty days and if I really liked the challenge to the point I want to continue with it, I'll get myself a much better notebook.

On the first day, I sat down, stared at the notebook, and did...nothing. I honestly stared for a good five minutes, completely clueless on how to start. "Dear Diary?" "Hey there, notebook?" Or do I just jump right in? And once I started, what do I talk about? And then I remembered the Lavendaire did a video about her morning pages routine. So I watched that and decided to give that a shot. I modified it for the notebook (6 pages as opposed to 3) and I've started to take it relatively casually.

So far, it's only been day 3, so I haven't seen any effects. Do you keep a journal? What exactly do you do? Because I need some help.

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I loved P90x it's a great program (:
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only lady who loves it!!

      Delete
  2. Your journal is beautiful. Those workouts sound intense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! And P90X is way easier than you'd expect!

      Delete
  3. I love using journals! I have a dream log, and everyday 'what I did' and to-do list journal,a scrapbook of memories and a journal full of inspirational quotes!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I have no clue how you can balance all of that! Some people are just more talented and organized, I guess. But I love that idea of and inspirational quote journal. Great for those emotionally rainy days!

      Delete
  4. Veganism is probably the hardest for me, as I don't eat vegetable that much. I've seen youtubers like Kalel Kitten and she's a really passionate vegan and I hope one day, I'll try that. For now, I'll practice eating more vegetables and do lots of researching, as I think this is a big decision in our lives. And it's alright that you weren't able to survive it, that's okay. I'm so happy you did it though, I hope I can do it in the future.
    I used to write on my journal when I was really younger, but I already forgot and don't know where I put the notebook. But I remember that I'm the "jump right in" person, just write whatever I want about the day I had and write as much as happy stuff.
    Lovely post!!
    Love, Fads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try looking at some Bon Appetit recipes! I absolutely love vegetables. I'm sure you'll work some magic and learn to love vegetables. I think the passion behind veganism is very interesting. Coming from a traditional hunting family, I've never been bothered by meat, but I can completely admire how powerful they are in their beliefs!

      You'll have to find that notebook! I bet it would be fun and interesting to read through =]

      Thanks so much. Your comment was super exciting because I feel like I got a great insight into you!

      Delete
  5. Trying to incorporate new things into our lives via challenges makes it fun - I really like that approach. As far as the vegan challenge goes, I think it is awesome that you tried, and also awesome that you listen to your body and accept that maybe right now you are not ready for that big step yet. We all have to do things within our own personal time frames :)


    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rae! And thanks for the support. I was REALLY kicking myself before for failing, but I had a lot of people, both vegan and not, say "Hey, good job trying!" which took a bunch of the pressure off! I'm glad that you're a part of the support team too!

      Delete
  6. Your blog is lovely and I just loved the way you write. I am a vegetarian and some times I wonder whether I can become a Vegan but leaving out Dairy is a little tough for me. But maybe I can try a 1 week challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I definitely recommend giving it a shot. You might find out that it doesn't work for you (health-wise, happiness-wise, etc.) or you might find the perfect lifestyle for you =D

      Delete