Hair Update && Day 12 :: Journaling Challenge

8:58 AM

8.5 inches. That's how much hair I cut off and I'm now donating. The cut ended up being a little shorter than I was hoping, but hey - hair grows back! And that's exactly why I do this almost every year. I know a girl who start losing her hair when we were in elementary school due to alopecia universalis, a condition where you lose all of your hair. All of it. That includes your eyebrows and eyelashes. At a young age, I recognized how much stronger she was than me. When her mom offered to buy nice wigs and cute hats, she said, "Why? I'm just bald." I realized how much importance I had put on my hair, on protein filaments that grow out of my head. I realized how sad I would be to lose even a little bit of my hair. I would be jumping all over the offer of a wig. So I decided then and there that I would grow my hair out and cut it every time it was long enough. As I've gotten older, it's taken longer and longer for my hair to grow out, but I still do it because I know I'm still vain enough to place a lot of ridiculous value on my hair.

This is how my hairdresser styled it which isn't entirely my style, but I still love it. I'm a bit of a big-and-messy hair girl.

The funniest bit of this entire process has been that only a few people at work have realized I cut my hair. That's one of the downsides of being an engineer - you don't work with any women. You can chop off half of your hair and they don't even realize you did that.

I'm still holding strong with the journaling challenge. I missed two days because of Mother's Day, but I think my journal is still holding up.

Have you ever donated your hair?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. love this look on you!
    I was planning on donating my hair, but it was like all dead and unhealthy so I couldn't

    love
    Karlien

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a good idea to donate your hair, and I really love the way your new short hair was styled!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great cause, never thought of it so thanks for sharing! Love the soft curls!
    http://www.thestyletune.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to see other people's chops, even though I have never done it myself! This look is so cute on you, and at least by donating you know it was for a good reason.

    aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete