Minimalism Journey :: Culling the Wardrobe and Culling the Shoe Collection

3:24 PM

First: Sorry I disappeared from the blogsphere for so long! I was at a conference that completely destroyed my schedule... I even forgot to take pictures for this post and to write my 7 Good Things of last week.

Yup. We've gotten to the first bit of "get rid of your shit." Culling your wardrobe means going through all of your clothes and throwing away what you don't want or need. This process is naturally scary to anyone ("What if I get rid of that sweater and then I need to wear it a week from now for a very important reason and I can't find anything like it?!"), but I think it was extra scary for me...

As you might remember in my personal style definition post, I was able to determine that I'm a bit of an oddball with fashion. I'm a bit eclectic and I'm drawn to a mixture of things that seemingly don't go together. On top of it, I haven't grown in years. As in I'm a touch under 5' and I stopped growing right before my first year of high school. So I have a lot of clothes. A lot of clothes to look and to think about.

The process took me over 3 hours. Over those 3 hours, I would have an occasional "but what if?" panic. There were pieces that I looked at and said, "There's no way I'd get rid of this" and a couple pieces that I immediately knew needed to leave. But after that long time of dividing up my clothing, I did it.

I had three "piles" that I divided my clothes between: keep, garbage, and give to H&M. H&M will give you 15% off for 1-2 bags of clothing that you donate so that the clothing can have a new life. While I'm not a die-hard H&M fan, I'm looking to replace certain pieces, I need a new purse (I'm notorious for using the same purse for years), and I need some western and camping friendly clothing (*cough* Only Passionately Curious *cough*).

For the shoes, whatever I felt I didn't want, I brought to Goodwill. Very exciting.

Have you ever tried culling your closet? Did it take as long as it took me?!

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. I have tried decluttering my closet for so many times. The last time I decluttered, I was left with more or less half of the original amount of clothes I had. But I think it really is important to declutter once in a while especially we have things we don't really wear and they're just there. Good luck finding a new purse and clothes for your future adventures! x

    http://beecaluya.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bee! I completely agree. HOPEFULLY, I'll succeed!

      Delete
  2. i like to go through my clothes every couple of months because i always find things that i thought i needed before but then realized i didn't. i somehow still have way too much stuff!

    danielle | avec danielle / giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! There's just always too many pretty things to buy, right?

      Delete
  3. I've culled my closet so many times. I used to do big, huge purges all at once, but now I do things on a yearly basis. Since I have gotten my closet under control, I flip all my hangers around on New Year's. What hasn't been worn by the next New Year can most likely go to Goodwill (I keep a few things for special occasions). It works! Also, if I wear anything and notice that it is uncomfortable, I go home and immediately put it in the donation bag. Ain't nobody got time for uncomfortable clothing.

    Oh, and when you finally get your closet in the shape you want, be careful not to start the process over. I did that about 3 times before I finally decided to STOP bringing in new clothes unless I actually needed something. Good luck with your minimalist adventures!

    aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I did not know H&M does that..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely have to do this. How come I've moved in 3 different countries in just over 1 year, trying to downsize each time, and yet I own way too many clothes and I only wear less than half of them? :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give this a shot for sure! It's completely helped me!

      Delete
  6. Love this post!! I need to Culled, Declutter, Donate, Dispose of.. more than half of the things I have!! When I moved out of state 6 years ago I gave away so many things, and now I wish I had every one of those things :(
    Of course we don't wear half of the things we have, or we wear the same thing week after week. But at beginning this year I decided to shop my closet and spend that money on travel and savings. And I can honestly say that traveling has been way more rewarding.
    Plus the things that I'm not wearing I have been selling on apps and online, I love to sell an item because I feel like I know that my babies (clothes) are going to a good home.
    So I guess I'm kind of culling..MY LIFE!! lol
    Share Yvon (www.MyStyleMyVibe.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Share! It's definitely hard, but totally worth it! I'm glad it's been working for you!

      Delete