Minimalism Journey :: Personal Style

9:09 AM

Buckle in. This is a long one.

According to Rachel Aust's (youtube) 30-day minimalism challenge (which she just updated to 60 days), the first step is to define your personal style. Define your personal style. The second I started trying to think about what that means, I panicked a little. How the hell do you define your personal style? Is there a workbook to fill out? Do I just say "I like what I like?" I'm already lost. Where do I start? Answer: Google that.

I essentially opened up 4 different blogs with their own tips and went from there. I looked at "9 Steps to Defining Your Personal Style" from Who What Wear, "Style 101: How to Define Your Personal Style" from Downtown Demure, "8 Tips to Help You Find Your Personal Style" from The Everygirl, and essentially everything from Into Mind.

I started off with choosing 5 style icons. I choose these lovely ladies:

  1. Rihanna
  2. Emma Watson
  3. Olivia Palermo
  4. Cara Delevingne
  5. Bambi Northwood-Blyth
While choosing my fashion muses was the hardest part of this process, this helped me with the rest of my style definition, Sometimes it's easier to look at someone else and define them rather than yourself.

The next step was the "label" my style. Based on who I like for their fashion choices, I learned that I am the kind of person who likes to mix modern pieces with eclectic pieces, likes chic clothes that are comfy as heck (shout out to you, Cara!), and "BadGirl" or rather edgy mixed with girly (essentially pure Rihanna). Often, I mix all three of these categories. A comfy sweater with a hit of lace with a sleek pair of black skinny jeans, a long and simple necklace, and combat boots. Without finding my style icons, this step would have be infinitely more difficult!

From here, I could easily define my makeup style. I don't particularly like foundation or heavy makeup. I'm BB cream all the time girl. And I definitely gravitate towards natural and neutral tones - except for my lipstick. This is where Bambi Northwood-Blyth and Rihanna both come in as makeup inspiration.

After this, I listed out 10 items that make me happy. I went ahead and included make-up and hair because both of those things are big in my style:
  1. Long, flowy skirts
  2. Wild flowers
  3. Subtly fun-colored hair
  4. Long necklaces
  5. Galaxy-inspired pieces
  6. Small, interesting earrings
  7. Rolled/cuffed pants
  8. Boots
  9. Dark lipstick
  10. Leather anything
Last but not least, I determined my "signature pieces." Who What Wear did a great job of providing examples:

"Audrey Hepburn had her cropped pants and ballet flats, Jackie O. had her oversized sunglasses, and Edie Sedwick had her statement earrings and mod minis."

I realized that my "signature pieces" is at least 1 black item and "untamed hair." I know those aren't pieces, but they are both important to my look!

My last little note to myself is Don't forget your inner Disney and Penelope! If you've never seen Penelope, go watch it now! It's ridiculous and silly, but it's so pretty and I love to watch it when I'm feeling a little down.

Have you tried to define your personal style? What was your journey like with that?

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I LOVE Emma Watson's style as well!

    http://www.kelseymarie.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the whole world is in love with her. And for good reason!

      Delete
  2. Into Mind is such a great site, but all the credit goes to Un-Fancy and Marie Kondo, when it comes to wardrobe editing/ capsule wardrobes, unfortunatly. I think Anuschka provides much more information for a larger spectrum of people with different needs and lifestyles, than any of the previously mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to read Marie Kondo's books. She is the ultimate minimalism QUEEN!

      Delete
  3. Great style icons for inspiration! I love the style of Olivia Palermo, she always looks great. :)
    Isabella xx http://isafashionebella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's always so perfectly, but comfortably put together! She's hard not to love.

      Delete
  4. I've been working on the same thing lately! Have come to realize that my favorite basics are neutral colored v necks (black and grey especially), jeans, striped tees, cardigans, and vans. Very basic, no bright colors, low profile and low maintenance. Sums me up, basically. Loved reading this! Good luck on your style journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! You should document your journey too! I'd love to read that.

      Also, you're such a classic girl! Love it!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the styles of all those ladies ;-). Great choice dear ❤.
    Xo Pisa

    http://inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the styles of all those ladies ;-). Great choice dear ❤.
    Xo Pisa

    http://inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love Cara, she is such a cool rock chick
    love here attitude to, so funny and effortless, as her style

    love
    Karlien

    ReplyDelete