Minimalism Journey :: Home Theme && Other Fun News

11:06 AM

I've found so far that I have the most trouble with the "abstract" parts of Rachel Aust's minimalism challenge. I've always been someone who avoids defining anything. If you asked me to describe a person, you'd get just a load of confused rambling. It might be silly, but I just hate trying to put words to ideas. So when I read "Pick a theme for your home and/or wardrobe," I mildly panicked.


I've already picked a "wardrobe theme" in a previous post which was essentially an odd mix of things I like that don't necessarily go together. As for my home? Well, I realized that I have a similar theme.



I've discussed my gallery wall before. I think this is a great summary of my home theme. On this wall I have dried flowers, fake deer heads, an old soccer scarf from the 2006 World Cup in Germany, a bottle of Dom Pérignon from my birth year,and various knick-knacks. I also have an antique-looking pharmacist lamp in a old brass-tone. Every single one of these items make me happy and inspires me differently.

This extends to my kitchen. Every plate and glass is different (a lot of them are handpainted or antique). All my cooking ware is cute, but mismatched. I truly don't think anything really goes together in my apartment. I don't have two of anything!

That's when I realized that, even though I have a lot of "things," everything has it's own unique purpose. This one picture helped me define my home theme: purely eclectic. I joke that it's a bit like a kooky old hippie lady style, but I honestly love that. Even if it's not minimalist and definitely not everyone's cup of tea, I pride myself in the fact that everyone who comes over feel comfortable and at home.


In other news: My boyfriend and I just started a new blog, Only Passionately Curious. The name comes from a great quote by Einstein:
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
The point of this blog is to follow our travels, especially as we gear up for a month-long roadtrip out West. Yup. Lots of camping and national parks to come! We're test-driving our blog, Snapchat (opcka), Twitter (@opcka), and Instagram (@opcka) as we take a quick fun trip out to Savannah, GA. If you have any ideas for what we should eat, drink, and see, go ahead and leave a comment on our first blog post or tweet it at us, using #katakesavannah

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Love the gallery wall! The eclectic style is definitely not what I do in my own home, but its so cute to look at and very unique :) You definitely have your own style going on!
    The new blog sounds awesome, I can't wait to see a bunch of national parks and camping. Two of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally understand why people wouldn't necessarily want it for themselves though.. All that dusting...

      And hopefully the new blog will go well!

      Delete
  2. I love an eclectic style! Life is too short to just have one theme!
    http://blackdressblacktea.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a bit hippy but that's not a bad thing. The important thing is that you like it. I think every piece tells a different story and that what makes it interesting.

    Dominique
    Only The Brave Blog
    www.onlythebraveblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And I've always been a bit of a hippie, but I'm slowly learning to accept that!

      Delete
  4. The blog you are starting with your boyfriend sounds interesting. As far as the challenge goes, wishing you lots of luck it sounds like you are learning lots about yourself and how you collect. I think that minimalism is great, but I also do think that we are all different, and if a collection of things is important to a person, they should not strive to reach some ideal number of household items, as we are all different.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And exactly. I think every person's journey should be a little different. Without a doubt, my journey will be different from yours. And it think that's so exciting!

      Delete
  5. I mentioned you in my newest blog post!
    http://staticnova.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/blogs-you-need-to-read.html

    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH! This completely made my day!

      Delete
  6. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete