Day 3 :: Wake Up Early

9:51 AM

This might be one of the "silliest" challenges I have lined up for myself this year, but I'd venture to say that this might be the most important one. Because my current job is rather flexible, I've been strolling in close to 9 am every morning even though the company opens at 7:30 am. Additionally, I've historically been a bit more of a night owl. Not a oh-my-gosh-is-that-the-sun-rising? type of a night owl. More of a well-shit-it's-2-am-and-I-need-to-be-at-work-tomorrow type.

All I knew stepping into this challenge was that I wanted to start waking up at 5:30 am as opposed to 7:30 am. I then turned to the internet to find some tips and tricks to the trade. My favorite tips came from LifeHacker, BuzzFeed, and Rachel Aust (as usual). Between the three, I've found some consistencies:

  • Stop looking at screens at night! The general consensus is 1 hour before bed, turn off those screens.
  • Start slowly. Move down your alarm by 15-minute increments until you reach your goal.
  • Stop hitting snooze.
  • Exercise in the morning. This can be combined with let in some fresh air and natural light. Unfortunately where I live, both of these can be difficult (it can get sub-20 in the mornings and the sun usually doesn't rise until after 7).
  • Drink water immediately after waking up.
  • Have a morning routine and a night routine.
There's other great tips (LifeHacker's "wake up at the same time every day," Rachel's "eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking up," BuzzFeed's "try using a different type of alarm clock"). But these are a few that I can immediately start focusing on.

I've created a timeline for my alarm times:

  1. 7:15
  2. 7:15
  3. 7:15
  4. 7:00
  5. 7:00
  1. 7:00
  2. 6:45
  3. 6:45
  4. 6:45
  5. 6:45
  1. 6:30
  2. 6:30
  3. 6:30
  4. 6:30
  5. 6:15
  1. 6:15
  2. 6:15
  3. 6:15
  4. 6:00
  5. 6:00
  1. 6:00
  2. 6:00
  3. 5:45
  4. 5:45
  5. 5:45
  1. 5:45
  2. 5:30
  3. 5:30
  4. 5:30
  5. 5:30
I'm going to start developing my "ideal" morning routine and start working on my "ideal" evening routine as I get more into the swing of waking up early.

Any tips on how to start this journey? I'm determined to make this work!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I don't like the idea of sleeping- time when you can't do anything? Snooze (pun so, so intended). But it's so hard not to hit the "snooze" button in the morning. It's great that you're doing this challenge, and I like the idea of the progressive wake up times!

    nolongergrey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually started putting my phone across my room so I have to get up and then I don't feel like hitting snooze since I'm already awake! And thanks!

      Delete
  2. I get up at 5:30 every morning and it's definitely a challenge, but once you get into a routine it gets easier :)

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up at 5:30 the first morning and it kicked my ass! I'm glad you're a success story. Inspiration for me!

      Delete
  3. Love reading this, i should put myself onto the challenge too..you inspire me xoxo

    http://www.thefurthestthingfromperfect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should definitely give it a shot. I'm so excited to complete this and to be better for it!

      Delete