Day 3 :: Wake Up Early9:51 AM
This might be one of the "silliest" challenges I have lined up for myself this year, but I'd venture to say that this might be the most important one. Because my current job is rather flexible, I've been strolling in close to 9 am every morning even though the company opens at 7:30 am. Additionally, I've historically been a bit more of a night owl. Not a oh-my-gosh-is-that-the-sun-rising? type of a night owl. More of a well-shit-it's-2-am-and-I-need-to-be-at-work-tomorrow type.
All I knew stepping into this challenge was that I wanted to start waking up at 5:30 am as opposed to 7:30 am. I then turned to the internet to find some tips and tricks to the trade. My favorite tips came from LifeHacker, BuzzFeed, and Rachel Aust (as usual). Between the three, I've found some consistencies:
- Stop looking at screens at night! The general consensus is 1 hour before bed, turn off those screens.
- Start slowly. Move down your alarm by 15-minute increments until you reach your goal.
- Stop hitting snooze.
- Exercise in the morning. This can be combined with let in some fresh air and natural light. Unfortunately where I live, both of these can be difficult (it can get sub-20 in the mornings and the sun usually doesn't rise until after 7).
- Drink water immediately after waking up.
- Have a morning routine and a night routine.
Any tips on how to start this journey? I'm determined to make this work!