Day 17 :: Wake Up Early && Ideal Night Routine7:54 AM
One of the things I was reading up on was that one of the keys to waking up early is making a good night routine. This is something that I'm really bad at. I'm the kind of person who like to binge-watch Adventure Time while knitting at 11PM. Not exactly healthy... Looking at blue light at night continues the production of melatonin which just keeps you up - even if you're sleepy! So there are some definitely lifestyle changes that I need to make.
So I'm slowly but surely incorporating my ideal night routine. It's hard because I'm breaking some habits that I already have, but I'm getting there.
This starts about 1.5 hours before bed time (assuming I go to bed at 10:30PM):
- Plan out the next day. I love checklists, so that's how I format my planner.
- Do some quick general apartment cleaning.
- Do a face mask or dermaroll my face. The latter is not necessarily a comfortable process, but it's one of the few things I actually believe works.
- Light a nice relaxing candle. The one in the picture is The Shire and it definitely smells like sitting in Bag End. Absolutely love it!
- Drink something warm (and non-caffeinated, of course). I have some Trader Joe's Well-Rested tea and echinacea tea that I've been turning to.
- Read something. I've been re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series and The Silmarillion recently.
Completely off-topic: If you're a fan of The Lord of the Rings and you haven't read The Silmarillion, I definitely recommend it. It's almost the religious text of Middle Earth (creation stories and early history tales). I recommend skipping the Ainulindalë and the Valaquenta if it's your first time reading it. They are a little hard to read.
Back on track: What do you do before bed? Am I missing something good to do in at night?